List:       dri-users
Subject:    Re: [Dri-users] Mach64 Strangeness...
From:       Rolleston <rolleston () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-11-09 13:01:31

Felix Kühling wrote:

 > You can have the driver generate lots of messages about software
fallbacks like
 > this:
 >
 > MACH64_DEBUG=msg bzflag
 >
 > It will print messages like "Set Fallback: x" and "Clear Fallback: x"
 > when it enables/disables software fallbacks. The numbers (according to
 > the latest source) mean:
 >
 >   1: texture
 >   2: draw buffer
 >   4: read buffer
 >   8: stencil
 >  16: render mode
 >  32: multidraw
 >  64: logicop
 > 128: sep specular
 > 256: blend eq
 > 512: blend func

Some progress made.

I noticed some "Set Fallback 1"s on System B not present when
running bzflag on System A. Since 1 corresponds to "texture",
I decided to look at the texture setting on the bzflag Options
screen. Textures were turned off there. This was to be expected
because the contents of "~/.bzf", the configuration directory,
were copied across from System A, where textures were also turned off.

It occurred to me - goodness knows why - that it might be a good
idea to turn the textures on, and then turn them off again. After
doing so, bzflag ran much more quickly. Indeed, as quickly, it
seems to me, as it would have run on System A.

This is all very mysterious at the moment. Deleting "~/.bzf" and
restarting bzflag does not cause a deterioration in performance.

So, either bzflag is storing configuration information elsewhere
(and it is not always accurately reflected on the Options menu),
or the X-window system, the DRM driver, or something else is
hiding something away.

It's a bit of a mystery at the moment. I've searched around but
I cannot find any file related to bzflag that would cause this
odd behaviour.

Thanks,

R.