List:       dri-users
Subject:    Re: [Dri-users] fresh debian install and mach64 dri apt-get
From:       Micha Feigin <michf () post ! tau ! ac ! il>
Date:       2004-10-29 0:44:12

At Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:46:49 -0700,
John Chow wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I posted a few weeks ago asking for some help with getting DRI to work
> on my mach64 chipset laptop and Debian Sarge.  Thanks for the advice I
> got, however I never got to fully try it since midterm tests came up.
> Plus I just got a new hard drive for my laptop so I've decided to
> start fresh with a new install of Sarge.
>
> I found this link about using apt-get to install DRI:
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/~dri/snapshots/README.Debian
>
> I added this line to my sources.list:
> deb     http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-mach64-sid/		./
>
> After which, I updated apt-get and did an apt-get install of
> xserver-xfree86-dri-mach64.

Did you compile the dri kernel module, and did the module and the agp module
load?

> After which I rebooted, and my debian X login screen is now a plainer
> version without the debian logo.  I put in my username and password,
> and when I hit enter the screen blacks for a second, and returns to
> the login screen.  Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Can you post your /var/log/Xfree86.0.log ? Also log in that file and see if
there is any line marked with EE (signifying a startup error). Also if you stop
your display manager (xdm,gdm,kdm,wdm) and do startx from the command line? You
will get more verbose output that way.