List:       dri-users
Subject:    [Dri-users] unresolved symbol __glXActiveScreens ..... libdri.a
From:       "D & E Radel" <radel () inet ! net ! nz>
Date:       2003-05-14 21:54:05

Hi there.

I have Debian "Sid" with ATI Radeon 9000, XF 4.2, kernel 2.4.20, and the
latest Radeon Linux drivers. The package installs, I can create and load the
module, I create the XF86Config-4 file with their tool. However, when doing
a startx, I get "unresolved symbol __glXActiveScreens ..... libdri.a".

What is going on? I have not compiled DRI support into the kernel as ATI say
not to. I have attached the ATI info below.

Thanks in advance.
D.Radel.

12. Linux kernels with built-in dri/drm support
Some Linux kernel sources provide XFree86 kernel modules for miscellaneous
graphics adapters.
(1) These files are not compatible with ATI drivers.
(2) These files might prevent ATI modules from beeing searched or found.
(3) These files are not required for running the FireGL 8700/8800 with its
drivers.
As of today, there is no perfect implementation of the XFree86 kernel
driver loading process. If you have multiple kernel drivers selected and
compiled directly into your Linux kernel, XFree86 may not start the
respective ATI kernel module automatically. XFree86 scans all present dri
devices and concludes that dri is active but there is no suitable driver.
Thus the required kernel module is not loaded.
Solutions for the above scenario:
- don't compile any dri/drm devices hard into your Linux kernel,
if you need other modules than provided by ATI: use modules.
- manually load the ATI kernel modules before starting your XServer.
This will force the ATI modules to get loaded and properly detected.