List:       dri-users
Subject:    [Dri-users] Direct Rendering not active
From:       Andrew.Glassby () genesisoilandgas ! com
Date:       2003-03-28 11:24:24

Hi all,

I have a tricky one here, I hope someone can shed some light on it for me!

I am running a Dell Inspiron 4000 with a Rage128 Mobility 8Mb video card. I
am running
Mandrake 9.0 with a compiled kernel 2.4.20. Bus mastering is active. I'm
currently running
KDE3.0 as my WM (if this helps)

Following initial installation and cut over from stock kernel to 2.4.20 the
direct rendering and
acceleration worked fine... starting up kde (as user not root) glxinfo
would happily report all
was well and gl things would run OK.

I've been doing a little bit of app installation which I think has twiddled
with some access rights
(perhaps) 'cos things have stopped working as I expect them to now:

reading the XFree86 log file I see that acceleration is enabled (with NO
messages/warnings
or errors) and direct rendering is enabled (again with no messages/warnings
or errors) nowhere
in the log does it say that the server has disabled direct rendering.

When I open a console and run glxinfo I now get:

     name of display:  :0.0
     display:  :0  screen:  0
     direct rendering:  no
     server glx vendor string: Brian Paul
     server glx version string: 1.4 Mesa 4.0.3

If I run the same command as root I get:

     name of display:  :0.0
     display:  :0  screen:  0
     direct rendering:  yes
     server glx vendor name: SGI
     server glx version string: 1.2

(Note before all this hassle I would get this as a normal user too)

my XF86Config-4 file shows:
Section "DRI"
     Mode 0666
EndSection

and my resolution is only 1024x768x16bit so my video memory has plenty to
spare!

I am perplexed and in need of some direction here!

hope someone can help!

Cheers

ADG

(registered as adg@merak1.demon.co.uk)