List:       dri-users
Subject:    Re: [Dri-users] Trying to get DRI working on a Radeon M6 LY (laptop)
From:       Bernhard Kaindl <bernhard.kaindl () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-03-20 12:14:42

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 zoid@truffula.net wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Charl P. Botha wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 07:34:38PM -0800, zoid@truffula.net wrote:
> >
> > You have an M6, which, at least as far as I know, has no TCL (Transform,
> > Clipping and Lighting) unit, so this message is harmless.
> >
> > Your glxinfo says: direct rendering: Yes so everything seems to be in order.
> > Are you sure the other gl apps you run are linking to the correct libGL?
>
> i used ldd to list the libraries glxinfo/glxgears used, and then diff'ed
> each one with the ones built by the xfree 4.3.0 source, they were all the
> same.
>
> i also looked around to see if there were any special options i needed to
> set... apparently my card is AGP 2x, so i explicitly set that, along with
> the amount of video ram.  no change in performance, so i guess it was
> detecting that fine.
>
> i am only assuming that 3d accel isn't working because i get the
> approximately the same fps in glxgears with and without DRI enabled.

Just try a 3D app using textures or such like gl-117 from gl-117.sf.net
or torcs from torcs.sf.net, if you get framerates above 10 with these,
DRI works.

I've very similar HW and gears/glxgears have the same FPS with DRI enabled
and gears seems to be an very ancient demo which is not very useful to test
wether HW acceleration is used or not, todays CPU to the simlple flat view
used in gears.

Even if you make glxgears fullscreen, you will not see much difference
because your Celeron 2.0 GHz can render glxgears at the same Speed as
the R100 chip on your Mobility M6 LY. I've only got a 1.5 GHz Celeron
and see little difference with glxgears beween DRI and mesa software rendering.

I think XFree should add a a (generated) texture and maybe more to glxgears
to allow the Mobility DRI to perform with visible difference, maybe it should
refer to some other demo(e.g. from Mesa-demos), but I don't know them.

Maybe I've seen higher FPS with gears on XF4.2 (can check) so if this
is really the case, gears may be exploiting some performance degradiation
in some edge from 4.2 to 4.3, but I can tell that the games I tested
run faster with XF4.3.

Note that there are some bugs in the R100 support in the XF 4.3.0 tarballs
because the DRI Experts fixed some bugs after XF 4.3.0 was released. You
can see these problem if you use a display manager to login/logout (hard
lockup possible) and when you move/resize/clip complex 3D app windows like
gl-117, torcs or fireflies(X server lock, login over the network and kill
the app then). These bugs have been fixed in the mesa-4-0-4-branch of the
dri cvs(see CVS infos @ dri.sf.net for infos on the cvs branches)

Bernd