List:       dri-users
Subject:    Re: [Dri-users] ATI RAGE M1 mobility on an ACER Travelmate 524TE
From:       Felix =?ISO-8859-1?B?S/xobGluZw==?= <fxkuehl () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-03-17 21:16:40

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 02:38:09 -0800 (PST)
gordon ask me <fastnetmail2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi, I have an ATI RAGE M1 mobility on an ACER Travelmate 524TE
> and I'm trying to get RMI working under the gentoo distribution.
> Still no luck upto this point.
>
> 1)
>
> I want to verify whether there is a DRI driver for this
> card.  Again, this is the M1.
>
> So far, this is what I've done:
>
> compiled both DRI and AGPART into the kernel.
> Inside XF86Config is the following: (note, I'm using "ati" instead of "r128"..
> KDE won't start if I put r128 though it works with "ati".  I'm being suspicious
> there's no DRI support for my card because I dont' see any "ati" files during
> compilation, thus my original question.

Ati works for all ati cards. It automatically selects one of ati, r128 or
radeon. r128 doesn't work for you since your graphics chip is no Rage
128. From googling around I found that Rage M1 is a Mach64 variant.

There is no DRI support for Mach64 in the official XFree86 distribution
yet. DRI CVS has a mach64-0-0-5 branch which should be the best quality
for a first try. See the "DRI Compilation Guide" on http://dri.sf.net and
the "mini-HOWTO: Compiling and Installing the mach64 Branch of DRI" on
http://www.retinalburn.net/linux/dri_HOWTO.html for detailed
instructions.

The Mach64 branch does not work with all Mach64 variants. Some older
versions that don't have a triangle setup unit are not supported by DRI.
I couldn't find out whether the Rage M1 is one of those. Does anyone
else know? Otherwise you'll have to try and see if it works.

[snipped XF86Config-4]

> 2) do I need Load "dri" since I already have dri compiled into the kernel??

The DRI in the kernel (actually the kernel stuff is called drm) does not
support Mach64. You must install the kernel module compiled from the DRI
source tree.

> Thanks, -Gordon

I hope this is enough info to get you started. If you have more
questions, the dri-users list is the right place to ask.

Best regards,
  Felix

 Felix       ___\_e -_/___/ __\___/ __\_____   You can do anything,
   Kühling  (_____\Ä/____/ /_____/ /________)  just not everything