List:       dri-users
Subject:    Re: [Dri-users] memory requirement for Mach64
From:       Leif Delgass <ldelgass () retinalburn ! net>
Date:       2003-03-14 20:00:20

The 2D DDX driver (atimisc_drv.o) handles the allocation of framebuffer
memory for DRI.  The current code actually only allocates the 3D back,
depth and texture areas of the framebuffer when GL clients are running.
So you get the entire framebuffer for 2D use when there are no GL clients.
However, the framebuffer area size allocated for the 2D/front buffer and
the 3D back/depth/texture buffers is still static in the sense that the
sizes are calculated once at server startup and never change.

Altough 4.3.0 supports RandR, most drivers -- including the mach64/ati
driver -- don't yet resize the framebuffer allocation on the fly when a
lower resolution is switched to because of the one-time calculation of
buffer sizes at startup (which is based on the largest resolution
configured).  When Jose says "when X fully supports RandR," he's referring
to modifying the driver(s) to dynamically resize the amount of framebuffer
memory allocated for 2D and/or 3D when you change resolutions using RandR.
This has yet to be implemented.

Leif

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Toan T Nguyen wrote:

> I have XFree86 4.3.0 which supports RANDR extension. Specifically, I can
> change resolution, size and refresh rate on the fly (using xrandr).  Is there
> a way I can reload the mach64_dri module on the fly as well?
>
> Thanks,
> Toan
>

> On Thursday 13 March 2003 09:05 am, José Fonseca wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 02:13:52PM -0600, Toan T Nguyen wrote:
> > > Hi, I recently downloaded and installed Mach64 DRI server for my Thinkpad
> > > X20. However, at my standard resolution, 1024x768x16, DRI is disabled and
> > > complains about lack of video memory:
> > >
> > > (WW) ATI(0): DRI static buffer allocation failed -- need at least 4608 kB
> > > video memory
> > >
> > > Please see attached XFree86.0.log for more details.
> > >
> > > FYI, DRI runs perfectly at lower resolution (for e.g. 800x600) but it's
> > > very inconvenient to change resolution each time I want to run 3D
> > > programs . My ATI video card has 4MB video memory but it has AGP
> > > connection to use the main memory when needed. Also, it runs 3D programs
> > > fine in Windows 98. Does anybody know how to circumvent this memory
> > > limit?
> >
> > There is no way that you'll ever get 1024x768 fullscreen accel with that
> > card. This is a hardware limitation (the same happens on Windows).
> >
> > What can be done is use dinamically buffer allocation instead of static,
> > so that applications running in lower screen resolutions or
> > non-fullscreen windows can be accelerated. But there is little or no
> > support for this in the XFree86/DRI infrastucture. Hopefully when X
> > fully supports RandR things may become easier, but as you may guess it
> > may take quite a while.
> >
> > José Fonseca

Leif Delgass
http://www.retinalburn.net