List:       dri-users
Subject:    Re: [Dri-users] radeon 8500 drivers by ATI
From:       Stefan Lange <hoirkman () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-08-27 21:17:11

Christof Ameye wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed the commercial ATI drivers, (for which you don't get any
> support), but they start complaining that my 8500 is not from ATI, which
> is not true :-( and simply stop the X server startup ... I'm quite
> convinced that my board is a real ATI one (I bought it for one). The
> drivers for ATI on windows are not complaining and even on the radeon
> 8500 board I can see the ATI logo on the fan (but nowhere else). No
> indication of any other vendor.
>
> cat /proc/pci gives me (the entry for my radeon is only shown):
>
> Bus  1, device   0, function  0:
>     VGA compatible controller: PCI device 1002:514c (ATI Technologies
> Inc) (rev 0).
>       IRQ 12.
>       Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=8.
>       Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd8000000 [0xdfffffff].
>       I/O at 0xc000 [0xc0ff].
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe1000000 [0xe100ffff].

That's exactly the same I get
I haven't tried the ATI-driver in a while, but they used to work. (They
were still called FireGL8800-drivers back then, but I think they're the
same)

> so it IS a real ATI isn't it ?

I'd suppose so, yes

I think it's worth noting that my board is made by FIC, but if you look
at the actual graphics-card, it looks like FIC only put FIC-stickers in
every place where there were ATI-logos originally. The ATI-sticker is
still there underneath the FIC-sticker...

> Doesn't ATI know of all it's own boards it has manufactured? The anoying
> thing is that the website says their Linux drivers are unsupported ...
>
> any ideas or tips?

hmm, you could give the free DRI-drivers a shot. They're not running
stable on my system, however...

At least one guy from ATI (Alexander Stohr) is watching these lists, if
I remember correctly, so maybe he can comment on that?