List:       dri-users
Subject:    [Dri-users] 8500 drivers problem
From:       Christof Ameye <christof.ameye () pandora ! be>
Date:       2002-08-12 19:41:58

Hi,

I have several problems with de Radeon 8500 drivers (r200-20020810) on
Linux:
I am using an LCD with DVI input with a maximum resolution of 1280x1024.

There are weird things (probably not related to dri):

If I configure X for a resolution of 1280x1024 and also lower resultions
(1024x768, 800x600, ...) (switchable by using 'ctrl'-'alt'-'+' and
'ctrl'-'alt'-'-') only the 1280x1024 is displaying, with the other ones,
giving a black screen and the monitor complaining that there is no
signal.
Moreover, at 1280x1024, I have a missing vertical line of 1 pixel width
which simply is not displayed (so it is not a black line) at around
pixel 1024 (complete from top to bottom of the screen).
I do not have this problem on windows in any resolution.
If I change my XF86Config-4 file, so that the device section of my video
card contains the line

Option "NoDDC"

then X starts and functions correctly. Any resolution lower then or
equal to 1024x768 works fine (no black screen), but X refuses to use
1280x1024 because the 'panel size' would be only 1024x769 (yes you read
well: not 768), which is read from the boards registers.

So I tried to force the panel size by adding the option

Option "PanelSize" "1280x1024", which brings me back to the problems I
had first (without the NoDDC and the PanelSize options): only 1280x1024
works fine and other resolutions are not displayed.

Apart from that, I also have problems with 3D acceleration:

The gears - and most DRI apps running a window - give good performance
and no visible CPU usage but on the upper left (not completely in the
corner) there is constantly a small green square flashing sometimes.
Even more on the left there is also a red square flashing on when the
green one is flashing off. And there is a small virtical line (a few
pixels high) in red and white constantly flashing (also in the upper
left corner. The size of these is independant of the size of the
windows, but moves when the left side of the window is moved outside of
the screen, so that the rectangles keep on being visible.

gears is mentioning a performance of about 690 fps.

Any Idea's how to solve these problems ?