List:       dri-devel
Subject:    Re: [Dri-devel] SIGILL when using glx extension
From:       Derrik Pates <dpates () dsdk12 ! net>
Date:       2001-08-30 23:27:41

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> I bought a laptop with an NVidia GeForce 2 Go graphic card. X works fine with
> the nv driver (the nvidia binary driver doesn't work, my screen stays blank),
> but when I try to load the glx module, the server crashes with

> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 4.  Server abording.
>
> I have X 4.1.0 on a slackware 8.0

The 'nv' driver included with XFree itself has no support (yet - maybe
never will) for nVidia chips' hardware GL capabilities. Loading the 'glx'
module shouldn't kill the X server like that, but only nVidia's binary
driver supports the hardware 3D functionality.

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN