List:       dri-devel
Subject:    [Dri-devel] Radeon lockups with Quake3
From:       Simon Kirby <sim () netnation ! com>
Date:       2001-04-13 3:56:12

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 01:16:06AM -0700, Simon Kirby wrote:

> I'm also seeing lockups with Quake3 on my ASUS P2B-DS dual Celeron board
> with my Radeon VE 32MB DDR.
>
> Sometimes it will play fine for a few CTF games, but it will usually die
> somewhere in the game.  It seems to die either one of two ways -- either
> the screen will go blank or become corrupted (for example, scanning the
> first scan line for the entire screen while my second head on a PCI
> card remains fine), or the screen will just freeze.
>
> In the latter case, the machine will not respond to sysrq.  In the
> former case, it will, and I can unmount and reboot cleanly.

I decided to upgrade to the newest (as of earlier today) DRI tree, along
with 2.4.3-ac5.  I was playing Quake3 again, and got a lockup which has
never happened before: the monitor on my Radeon went blank, but Quake3
kept going (I could hear the sounds and still "t"alk and hear the
transmission).  Usually the sound will loop over and over and sysrq will
either work or not work.  This time everything worked except for the
monitor, but it locked up as soon as I quit the game (blindly).

I set up a serial console on another box and ssh'd in to a screen'd
minicom process on my second head while playing Q3 on the first.  During
play, no messages occurred.  After about 20 minutes, the older style
lockup occurred (monitor went blank, sound looped, sysrq works), and as
this happened, no messages appeared on the second head.  Upon reboot,
minicom had captured this looping output:

[drm:radeon_freelist_get] *ERROR* returning NULL!
[drm:radeon_freelist_get] *ERROR* returning NULL!
[drm:radeon_freelist_get] *ERROR* returning NULL!
SysRq: Emergency Remount R/O
[drm:radeon_freelist_get] *ERROR* returning NULL!
Remounting device 03:02 ... OK
Remounting device 03:01 ... OK
Remounting device 03:04 ... OK
Remounting device 03:43 ... OK
Done.
[drm:radeon_freelist_get] *ERROR* returning NULL!
[drm:radeon_freelist_get] *ERROR* returning NULL!
SysRq: Emergency Sync
[drm:radeon_freelist_get] *ERROR* returning NULL!
Syncing device 03:02 ... OK
Syncing device 03:01 ... OK
Syncing device 03:04 ... OK
Syncing device 03:43 ... OK
Done.
[drm:radeon_freelist_get] *ERROR* returning NULL!
[drm:radeon_freelist_get] *ERROR* returning NULL!
[drm:radeon_freelist_get] *ERROR* returning NULL!
[drm:radeon_freelist_get] *ERROR* returning NULL!
[drm:radeon_freelist_get] *ERROR* returning NULL!
[drm:radeon_freelist_get] *ERROR* returning NULL!
SysRq: Resetting

So, there now seem to be three different kind of lockups.  Totally dead,
somewhat dead (sysrq works), and only partially dead (only the Radeon
head goes blank).  Fun fun. :)

Simon-

[  Stormix Technologies Inc.  ][  NetNation Communications Inc. ]
[       sim@stormix.com       ][       sim@netnation.com        ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]