List:       dri-devel
Subject:    Re: [Dri-devel] Linking problem with libGL.so in .deb's
From:       Joseph Carter <knghtbrd () debian ! org>
Date:       2001-04-01 16:58:05

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 05:52:22PM +0300, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
> Is anyone else getting this:
>
> /usr/lib/libGL.so: undefined reference to `va_start'
> /usr/lib/libGL.so: undefined reference to `va_end'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> While trying to link your own (SDL/OpenGL) app to libGL.so..
>

> I'm using debian unstable and todays .deb's of dri.

The problem is a gcc bug recently uncovered by recent glibc.  What version
of gcc-2.95 do you have installed?  It was supposed to be fixed by now.
At any rate, a workaround is to make sure you explicitly link everything
whether you use them explicitly or not.  For example GTK apps needed to
actually be linked against xlib and the like.  Something related to -fPIC
I think.

2.95.3.ds5-10 is what I have and it claims to fix the problem.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                Free software developer

<NeonKttn> I had a friend stick me in her closet during highschool beacuse I
           wouldn't believe that her boyfriend knew about foreplay...
<NeonKttn> I shoulda brought popcorn. :)