List:       dri-devel
Subject:    Re: [Dri-devel] Specific instance of a Radeon lockup
From:       Joseph Carter <knghtbrd () debian ! org>
Date:       2001-03-30 10:31:27

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 04:50:04AM -0500, Jeffrey Ingber wrote:
> I have the same problem with the mga driver.  A fix was commited a few
> months back that improved this quite a bit, but the problem still exists
> with certain programs that use a very large/full screen windows (ie.
> EVAS demos and Blender).  This "obscuring window" saga has been going on
> in one form or another for a _long_ time (ie. over a year) For the
> moment, this makes using the MGA driver impossible for anything but
> Gears and Quake  If this could be fixed, I could probably use DRI
> full-time.

In this specific instance, gears is okay till you start moving it around a
lot.  I was trying to see if I could break it so it's no surprise that it
died, gears is still running (hidden at the moment so it's not actually
doing anything..)

I'm not ready to try QuakeForge again - I suspect when I do I will try it
without multitexture.  I need sleep first.  Consiquently, I'll leave gears
running overnight.  I'll shut down the screensaver function too so it
doesn't take a nap.  That should give it a fair test.

Remind me at some point if you care (I'll forget) and I'll send you a copy
of gears that is evil if I've gotten around to making it.  Detail textures
at the very least.  Worse if I can get away with it.  I'm considering a
fullscreen desktop background version which overlays a pixmap and possibly
uses alpha or something on the gears to make it look like they're made out
of glass with lots of tiny air bubbles in them or something.  The result
should be beautiful (although torturous to DRI and your video card...)

--=20
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                Free software developer

* gxam wonders if all these globals are really necessary
<Knghtbrd> most of them at the moment yes
<Knghtbrd> we REALLY need to clean them up at some point
<Knghtbrd> gxam: the globals will have to go away as we migrate towards
           modularity and madness (ie, libtool)