List:       dri-devel
Subject:    Re: R200 depth tiling questions.
From:       Stephane Marchesin <marchesin () icps ! u-strasbg ! fr>
Date:       2005-01-31 15:34:13

Jacek Rosik wrote:
> Dnia 29-01-2005, sob o godzinie 21:38 +0100, Stephane Marchesin
> napisał(a):
>
>>Jacek Rosik wrote:
>>

>>>Would 7000 PCI be a rv100? I think I have one somewhere. Without depth
>>>tiling my Idea should be simpler to implement.
>>>

>>Yes. But, I'd like to have hyperz enabled by default soon, so you'll
>>probably have to deal with depth tiling on this card too.
>>Anyway it might be useful for some testing.
>

> I hope there will be an option to disable color tiling?

You mean depth tiling I think ?

There is no way to disable depth tiling on radeon, these cards have it
all the time (except the rv100 which only has depth tiling when hyperz
is used).

>>>Huh I thought that hyperz would be simpler with private z buffers. What
>>>about private z buffers and private back buffers. Since most
>>>applications render only to back that would make them as fullscreen
>>>applications. Wouldn't It be simpler to implement hyperz and color
>>>tiling then?
>>>

>>The trouble with hyperz is we're not quite sure how it works for the
>>corner cases (for example I'm not sure if it's possible to have private
>>depth buffers + hyperz).
>>Not to mention that private depth or back buffers are a real pain to add
>>since you'd need a fb memory allocator.
>>
>>Btw, you don't want a private back buffer because this would disable
>>pageflip (which is way faster than the copy).
>

> I don't think this is argument against private backbuffers. Pageflipping
> only works with single client. We can still do pageflipping with single
> client with shared depth buffer and switch to private with more
> applications. Moreover we can detect fullscreen situation and do
> pageflipping even with private buffers too.

Right, in any case there has to be a mechanism to enable/disable it.
However, the fullscreen hooks are long dead.

> Anyway private z buffers would be a first step towards privet buffers.
> Do You think It would be possible to allocate z buffers with current X
> memory manager as pixmaps of appropriate size? This would be a
> temporary, just to test such solution.

I think X can kick pixmaps out of video memory as it likes, so that
might not be very reliable.

Stephane