List:       dri-devel
Subject:    Re: Multiple hardware locks
From:       Thomas_Hellström <unichrome () shipmail ! org>
Date:       2004-10-31 22:34:32

Jon Smirl wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:54:25 +0100, Thomas Hellström
><unichrome@shipmail.org> wrote:
>

>>Wouldn't this severely break backwards binary compatibility with dri clients
>>compiled with the old size of drm_sarea_t?
>>

>You can't put them in drm_sarea_t. There is definitely code that will
>break if you do. I don't see anyway to extend drm_sarea_t without
>causing binary incompatibility.  drm_sarea_t was just not designed
>with binary extension in mind.
>
>I haven't located any code that will break if you put them in the card
>specific sareas. Also you only have to check the driver for the card
>if you do it this way.

The thing is that if I do that, and at some time in the future want to
extend the
number of locks, and at the same time have added other stuff after the
locks in the private part of the sarea, I have a problem.  Using the
private part of the sarea also makes producing generic code somewhat
harder.

That's really why I wanted to allocate a separate sarea.

/Thomas