List:       dri-devel
Subject:    Re: [Dri-devel] Stable Driver Branch
From:       Keith Whitwell <keith () tungstengraphics ! com>
Date:       2002-10-29 8:31:01

> I would certainly be willing to work on maintaining the stable branch
> with respect to FreeBSD if it's a general "stable" branch, and make
> packages of it if I find the time to set up that build machine I've been
> wanting to make (first I have to wait for those replacement drives,
> ugh).
>
> I would prefer if releases (to X, binary packages on the website) were
> made from the stable branch, but it would require committers to commit
> twice, once to the current development branch and then to stable later
> after the patch has been shown to work well.  That way most development,
> even mach64 and such, could occur on the current branch.
>
> I wish I could have been at the discussion, but the meeting time with or
> without daylight savings time conflicts with classes :(

Erik, just to stress how stable the stable branch is intended to be:  I'll
only be considering fixes for serious bugs: security bugs, lockups, backwards
compatibility failures, etc. on the stable branch.

The idea is to have a relatively frequent release cycle (quarterly?) and all
new development gets released in the *next* stable drop.

Keith