List:       dragonidsuser
Subject:    Re: DRAGON Remote monitoring and management.
From:       Ron Gula <rgula () ENTERASYS ! COM>
Date:       2001-01-18 18:45:40

At 09:45 AM 1/18/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Here's my question:
>I am currently attempting to monitor a Dragon Server using another Dragon
>Server.

When you say monitor, do you mean aggregation of the dragon.db's to
a central point?

>The Dragon Server 1 has three clients currently talking to it without much a
>problem..
>But the Server to Server communications have been a bit troublesome for me.
>
>On Dragon Server 1 I have set up a driderc binary to talk to the Dragon
>Server 2
>My question is this.  Should the secondary driderc binary (on Dragon Server
>1)
>talk on a different port than the original (driderc) server to sensor
>configuration, or will it make any difference?
>(yes the binary is loaded in a different directory).

The port may be irrelevant, because the port being served on the lower
tiered Dragon Servers won't conflict with the same port being served on
the 'master' Dragon Server.

>((Believe me I would rather have only 1 Server in this situation but that is
>not possible at this time.))

I'm curious if you would be able to go into your reason's for not
using one Dragon Server. In Dragon 5.0, we are working on a architecture
which would allow for multiple points for Dragon Sensors and Squires
to aggregate data in other places.

If you don't need the entire dragon.db at the root level, consider using
Alarmtool to SYSLOG the data to a central point.

One of the problems with using driderc to read the dragon.db's from a
Dragon Server is rollover. Consider when a Sensor sends along its [EOL]
event for the end of the day. If you have other Sensors, the first
one to reach [EOL] at midnight will be the one to cause driderc to
start reading from the new date's architecture. If other data is written
to 'yesterday's' dragon.db file, driderc won't see it. Also, if a Sensor
is offline for one day, then when the data comes in, it will not be
seen by the dragon.db.

Ron Gula
Enterasys Networks