List:       dragonfly-users
Subject:    Re: S.M.A.R.T support?
From:       Bill Hacker <wbh () conducive ! org>
Date:       2005-03-26 12:22:47

Thomas Edward Spanjaard wrote:

> "Bill Hacker" <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> > In either/both cases, they provide finer-grained control
> > of ATA device features, but do NOT provide for RAID
> > control as atacontrol does.
>

> As RAID control under NetBSD is device-specific, they won't put it in
> such a generic utility. Unless you have a common RAID interface to all
> adapters, I guess we're better off with separate utilities.
FreeBSD's atacontrol is actually a 'different sort of animal' - not just
RAID.
- but it seems well-suited to extending for SMART querying.

Try 'atacontrol list', then 'atacontrol cap x y ' where 'x' is controller
channel 0 onward and 'y' is device 0 onward.
Similar sort of info (shows SMART presence/absence, enabled/disabled,
but not (yet) the actual SMART report.
So it is 'talking' to the drive controller already anyway.

Bill