List:       dpdk-users
Subject:    [dpdk-users] rte_eth_dev_set_link_up: is it ever required to be used after rte_eth_dev_start
From:       John Sucaet <john.sucaet () oneaccess-net ! com>
Date:       2021-02-24 14:08:39

Hello all,

Looking at the api help for rte_eth_dev_set_link_up, it seems it is not
required to call this function after rte_eth_dev_start. I see this
confirmed in the fact that even not all pmds implement this function
(e.g. virtio) and that some pmds call the link_up function in their
start function.

However I am a bit confused by this example code:

https://doc.dpdk.org/api/examples_2ip_pipeline_2link_8c-example.html#a20

in which there is a call to rte_eth_dev_set_link_up after the start.

In what cases is it needed to call rte_eth_dev_set_link_up right after
rte_eth_dev_set_link_up?

Thanks

John