List:       dpdk-users
Subject:    Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK support for wireless NICs
From:       Stephen Hemminger <stephen () networkplumber ! org>
Date:       2019-11-25 18:29:10

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 11:59:38 +0800 (GMT+08:00)
"Chengke Wang" <wongck@pku.edu.cn> wrote:

> 	Dear all,
>

> 	I found DPDK in order to implement a high-speed dataplane on 802.11ac. We have \
> tested that in the scenario where two machines use Wi-Fi Direct to communicate, the \
> goodput of TCP can reach above 800Mbps.
>

> 	However, I learned that DPDK does not support wireless NICs now. Does DPDK have \
> special requirements of today's commodity wireless NIC hardware? If not, is it \
> feasible to bring in support of DPDK for wireless NICs with modification *only* to \
> the NIC driver? We want to work on this if the change to the driver is all we need. \

There are no 802.11 wireless devices supported by DPDK and DPDK provides
raw packet access only, no TCP.

DPDK is generally not useful for data rates less than 1G bit/sec.
You either have slow CPU's or other TCP queuing issues (bufferbloat).

Checkout some of the queueing work in Linux and bufferbloat list.