List:       dpdk-dev
Subject:    Re: [dpdk-dev] [E1000-devel] Unsupported SFP+ Module - Hardware Initialization Failure -19
From:       "Skidmore, Donald C" <donald.c.skidmore () intel ! com>
Date:       2016-08-31 16:28:40

The error value of -19 means your EEPROM indicates you're NIC doesn't have support \
for your SFP+ module.  So you're correct this isn't specifically a DPDK issue, the \
code that verifies this is shared both between the Linux driver as well as DPDK.  \
There are two possible cases here 1) we recognize the module but it isn't supported \
or 2) we don't know what the module is.  If it was the first case then for the out of \
tree linux driver you could use the module parameter "allow_unsupported_sfp" to get \
around this check.  Of course turning on this option produces the following rather \
scary log message:

"WARNING: Intel (R) Network Connections are quality tested using Intel (R) Ethernet \
Optics. Using untested modules is not supported and may cause unstable operation or \
damage to the module or the adapter. Intel Corporation is not responsible for any \
harm caused by using untested modules.

Thanks,
-Don Skidmore <donald.c.skidmore@intel.com>