List:       doxygen-users
Subject:    Re: [Doxygen-users] \cond keword
From:       "c.feige () osypkamed ! com" <c ! feige () osypkamed ! com>
Date:       2010-09-24 7:50:40

------=_Part_542278_1033769426.1285314640660

=C2=A0

Dimitri Van Heesch wrote:
> I think a better approach is to allow simple constant C-style expressions=
,
> i.e.
>
> \if !SOME_SECTION_NAME
> \endif
>
> or even:
>
> \if SOME_SECTION_NAME && (!THIS_ALTERNATIVE || THAT_ALTERNATIVE)
> \endif
>
> The same could be done for \cond.
>
> Regards,
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0Dimitri
Hi Dimitri.

I think there are some technical reasons for why doxygen needs two differen=
conditional commands: "\if" that works inside a documentation block and "\c=
ond"
that works over different documentation blocks. I assume that it is quite a=
 lot
programming work to make "\if" to be used for both purposes, so that we wou=
ld
not need \cond any longer. Am I right?

However, you proposal with C-Style conditional expressions drastically redu=
ces
the number of doxygen conditional commands (which is good for users) while
actually being more powerfull than the old approach with \ifnot and friends=
. I
like it.

Altough not a problem for me. One should think a moment about back-ward
compatibility for those people that have a lot of obsolete \ifnot commands =
in
their code. My opinion would be that with some easy search-and-replace
operations those people could easily modify their code. For example "\ifnot=
 XXX"
would become "\if !(XXX)".

Clemens
------=_Part_542278_1033769426.1285314640660

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" \

  <head>
    <title></title>
  </head>

      Dimitri Van Heesch wrote:<br />
      &gt; I think a better approach is to allow simple constant C-style expressions, \
i.e.<br />  &gt;<br />
      &gt; \if !SOME_SECTION_NAME<br />
      &gt; ...<br />
      &gt; \endif<br />
      &gt;<br />
      &gt; or even:<br />
      &gt;<br />
      &gt; \if SOME_SECTION_NAME &amp;&amp; (!THIS_ALTERNATIVE || \
THAT_ALTERNATIVE)<br />  &gt; ...<br />
      &gt; \endif<br />
      &gt;<br />
      &gt; The same could be done for \cond.<br />
      &gt;<br />
      &gt; Regards,<br />
      &gt;&#160; &#160;Dimitri
    Hi Dimitri.<br />
    I think there are some technical reasons for why doxygen needs two different \
conditional commands: &quot;\if&quot; that works inside a documentation block and \
&quot;\cond&quot; that works over different documentation blocks. I assume that it is \
quite a lot programming work to make &quot;\if&quot; to be used for both purposes, so \
that we would not need \cond any longer. Am I right?<br />  <br />
    However, you proposal with C-Style conditional expressions drastically reduces \
the number of doxygen conditional commands (which is good for users) while actually \
being more powerfull than the old approach with \ifnot and friends. I like it.<br />  \
compatibility for those people that have a lot of obsolete \ifnot commands in their \
code. My opinion would be that with some easy search-and-replace operations those \
people could easily modify their code. For example &quot;\ifnot XXX&quot; would \
become &quot;\if !(XXX)&quot;.<br />  <br />
    Clemens<br />

------=_Part_542278_1033769426.1285314640660--