List:       doxygen-users
Subject:    Re: [Doxygen-users] Re: Repost: documenting shell scripts
From:       Dustin Lang <dalang () cs ! ubc ! ca>
Date:       2005-04-15 17:08:03

Hi,

Sorry if my previous email sounded rude.  I shouldn't answer mail first
thing in the morning :)

I believe support for shell scripts is wish list item #8 (with difficult
rating 10) - well, actually, shell scripts aren't even listed as a
language to support in the future, but if they were, that's where they
would be listed!  Doxygen has to know a lot about the syntax and structure
of the language, so it's non-trivial to add support for a new language.
Paraphrasing from the manual, there is support for C, C++, Java, IDL, and
to some extent C# and PHP.

By the way, what flavour of script?  tcsh?  bash?

I would guess that shell script support would be fairly low on the list,
because (hopefully) there aren't that many people who need to write and
maintain a lot of scripts.

Maybe your shell scripts are more complicated than the ones I'm used to,
but perhaps you don't really need Doxygen to understand the structure of
your scripts.  In that case, you could still use it to write plain old
text documentation, but you'd be missing out much of its power.

(I'm thinking something like this:

#ifdef DOXYGEN
This is my documentation for the \c frob() function.

\c frob() is a happy function.
#endif
frob() {
 	echo "I am happy!"
}

Hopefully, the shell would ignore the #ifdef (since they look like
comments), and you could maybe trick the C preprocessor into extracting
them, or something...  *vigorous handwaving*

Cheers,
dustin.