List:       dovecot
Subject:    Re: master-users problem
From:       "Barbara M." <barbara () rfx ! it>
Date:       2024-01-20 12:55:11

On Sat, 20 Jan 2024, Andreas Haerter wrote:

> Hi Barbara,
>
> On 13.12.23 15:08, Barbara M. wrote:
>> passdb {
>>     args = /etc/dovecot/master-users
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but IIRC, these files are read after privileges are
> dropped... so quick guess: is the file readable by the service user itself?

Default config from the distro rpm (RL9), was:

passdb {
   driver = passwd-file
   master = yes
   args = /etc/dovecot/master-users
   pass = yes
}

I solved my problem with this config:

auth_master_user_separator = *
passdb {
   driver = passwd-file
   args = /etc/dovecot/master-users
   master = yes
   result_success = continue
}
passdb {
   driver = shadow
}
userdb {
   driver = passwd
}

that I get from the dovecot doc.

I'm not a dovecot configuration expert, so I don't understand exactly
how the added sections interact in the config, but this solved my problem
(hoping that I haven't created other problems that I don't see at the
moment ... ;-) ).

Thanks, B.