List:       dovecot
Subject:    Re: Possible IMAP IDLE bug in Dovecot 2.2.18 and 2.2.25
From:       The Doctor <doctor () doctor ! nl2k ! ab ! ca>
Date:       2016-08-24 16:40:20

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 12:49:02PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 23 Aug 2016, at 15:08, cleber-listas@inetweb.com.br wrote:
> >
> > Hello Guys,
> > I guess that I found a bug in Dovecot 2.2.18 and 2.2.25 versions. The
> > problem it's when I try to connect in a Dovecot used a proxy to another
> > e-mail server (in our case it's a Smartermail Server) the DoveCot send a
> > lot of IDLE commands to the destination server. With that, the LOG files
> > grow and grow and grow :(
> >
> > I make a test with 1 connection only and if you see the log file in the
> > same second the dovecot send 25, 40 IDLE commands. But, when I disconnect
> > the client (outlook 2013) the dovecot continue to send the IDLE command for
> > some seconds.
>
> After login Dovecot proxy no longer understands anything about the traffic. It \
> simply keeps proxying the IMAP traffic between the client and server. So Dovecot \
> isn't the one generating the IDLE commands, it's Outlook.
> > If I try to connect directly to Smartermail with Outlook this don't
> > occurrs.
>
> That is stranger then. Maybe it has something to do with having a different \
> CAPABILITY response. You could try setting imap_capability setting to same as what \
> Smartermail announces. Other than that I can't really think of anything specific \
> that you could do or we could fix on Dovecot code.

Older Outlook client software is simply just not keeping
up to standard.  Unless M$ cares to remove SSL2 and SSL3
support from their software, it is easier just to update
your client e-mail software which is more current and compliant
to recent 2015+ standarnds.

http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Time for the USA to hold a referendum on its republic and vote to dissolve!!