List:       dovecot
Subject:    Dovecot Virtual Plugin Use Cases (was Re: Indexing Mail faster)
From:       Thomas Leuxner <tlx () leuxner ! net>
Date:       2015-01-25 18:59:00

* LuKreme <kremels@kreme.com> 2015.01.25 19:32:

> > Another example, the one I used in the original reply, is 'gluing' together \
> > archives as a single view:
> > $ cat virtual/Postfix-Users/dovecot-virtual
> > Public/Archive/Mailing-Lists/Postfix-Users/*
> > Public/Mailing-Lists/Postfix-Users
> > all
>
> This all sounds interesting. Is there anything i can read to understand what the \
> purpose of Virtual is and why this would help? It sounds like you are using a \
> shared space for mailing lists (which I can see would be useful if you had many \
> people subscribing to the same lists). If so, doesn't each user lose their \
> indications of what messages are read or replied to?

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Virtual

It's a bit hard to wrap your head around it in the beginning, but once you understand \
what it can do, I'm sure you'll find a use case. Think of it as special view for all \
messages in Dovecot. You define which set of messages you want to display as a \
mailbox/folder. This view (or multiple views) is being updated dynamically going \
forward.

For instance you can set up a certain filter/selection like you can with a modern \
MUA. The difference however is: your Virtual view(s) will be available regardless \
which client you are using, whether they have integrated filters capabilities - or \
not.