List:       dovecot
Subject:    Re: [Dovecot] Migration to multi-dbox and SiS
From:       Timo Sirainen <tss () iki ! fi>
Date:       2012-01-28 23:53:59

On 29.1.2012, at 1.16, Ronald MacDonald wrote:

> Around the time of the last re-build (2010), there had been some =
discussion on single instance storage, which was quite new on Dovecot =
around then. I chickened out of setting it up though. Now with it having =
been in the wild for a couple of years, I wonder, how have people found =
SiS to behave? Additionally, though there was talk of the prospect of it =
being merged with 2.x am I right in thinking it's not yet in the main =
project? Couldn't find any 2.x changelogs that could confirm this.

It's in v2.0 and used by at least a few installations. Apparently it =
works quite well. As long as you have a pretty typical setup it should =
work fine. It gets more complex if you want to spread the data across =
multiple mount points. Backups may also be more difficult, since =
filesystem snapshots are pretty much the only 100% safe way to do them.

BTW. SIS, not SiS ("Instance", not "in")