List:       dovecot
Subject:    Re: [Dovecot] Can't start dovecot from heartbeat
From:       Timo Sirainen <tss () iki ! fi>
Date:       2009-11-30 2:40:04

On Nov 29, 2009, at 7:13 AM, John Gray wrote:

> I get the following error:
>
> Fatal: epoll_create(): Too many open files (you may need to increase
> /proc/sys/fs/epoll/max_user_instances)
>
> Works fine if I start it by hand, I'm guessing it has to due with the
> environment heart starts it in?

That happens immediately at startup? Yeah, there's something not set up correctly.

> My first thought was to do exactly what the message suggests, but my
> kernel doesn't appear to define max_user_instances, but there is a
> max_user_watches.

What Linux kernel version? Looks like the whole /proc/sys/fs/epoll/ doesn't exist in \
latest CentOS (2.6.18 kernel), even though epoll_create man page refers to it..

Anyway, I can't really help much. What heartbeat are you talking about? \
linux-ha.org's? Maybe they have some mailing list and can answer this.