List:       dovecot
Subject:    Re: [Dovecot] Big sites using Dovecot
From:       Luca Corti <luca () leenoox ! net>
Date:       2006-09-26 22:19:47

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 21:16 -0400, Bill Boebel wrote:
> > Are there any big Dovecot sites (say 50,000-100,000) users on this
> > list?
> Yes, Webmail.us.  Many multiples of that number :)

Many means in the 10^6 order of magnitude? More?

> 80 backend IMAP servers.  5 front-end IMAP-proxy servers.  All running Dovecot.  \
> The boxes are single AMD CPU, 1GB RAM, and 4 SATA drives.  DRBD used to replicate \
> data between servers.

AFAIK DRBD can replicate data at the block device layer. So I imagine
only half of the backend servers are actually active (with a twin HA
passive host, or you have 80x2 actual servers) and frontends are
redirecting users to the correct backend IMAP server.
Is this correct?

ciao,

Luca