List:       dns-security
Subject:    Re: simple question
From:       Edward Lewis <lewis () tis ! com>
Date:       1997-06-09 13:23:10

At 2:44 PM -0400 6/6/97, David Page X1566 wrote:
>My question is how do I verify the SIG? Or, does dig *automatically*
>verify everything? What about gethostbyname?

dig doesn't verify the SIG.  The SIG, created by the signer (which is a
source code half-sibling of the name server) is verified by the name server
as the master file is read.

                ---------            ----------               ----------
                |       |  Query     |        | Recurse Query |        |
                | dig   |----------->| recurse|-------------->| auth   |
                |       |            |        |  Auth answer  |        |
                |       |<- - - - - -|        |<--------------|        |
                ---------            ----------               ----------
                                        ^
                                        |-----This is where a verification
                                              happens, before answer is
                                              cached and sent back to dig

Assume you were to have two name servers running, with one being
authoritative and the other recursive. Assume a query is issued to the
recursive one for data authoritatively belonging to the other server.  In
this case, the recursive name server will perform a verification as it
learns the data.  If the verification passes the data is cached and the
answer sent to the client (dig).

Yes, this means that the line from the local default nameserver to the
client machine is 'unprotected' by this.  The DNSSEC work secures transfers
between any two name servers.  Clients may also wish to perform the
verification, but it is resource intensive.  There is a proposal (TSIG) in
the works to 'secure' the link to the client (resolver, e.g., dig).