List:       dns-operations
Subject:    [dns-operations] Call for Participation -- ICANN DNSSEC Workshop 17 October 2012
From:       julie.hedlund () icann ! org (Julie Hedlund)
Date:       2012-07-13 14:31:21

Call for Participation -- ICANN DNSSEC Workshop 17 October 2012

The DNSSEC Deployment Initiative, in cooperation with the ICANN Security and \
Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC), is planning a DNSSEC Workshop at the ICANN \
meeting in Toronto, Canada on 17 October 2012.  The DNSSEC Workshop has been a part \
of ICANN meetings for several years and has provided a forum for both experienced and \
new people to meet, present and discuss current and future DNSSEC deployments.  For \
reference, the most recent session was held at the ICANN Prague meeting on 27 June \
2012. The presentations and transcripts are available at \
http://prague44.icann.org/node/31749.

We are seeking presentations on the following topics:

1.  DNSSEC Activities in North America
This is a key panel and we are seeking participation from those who have been \
involved in DNSSEC deployment in North America as well as those who have a keen \
interest in the challenges and benefits of deployment.  Key questions are to consider \
include: what would help to promote DNSSEC deployment?  What are the challenges you \
have faced when you deployed DNSSEC?  Can DNSSEC make the information users receive \
more reliable?

2. ISPs and Validation
 ISPs are beginning to take the first step to full DNSSEC implementation that will \
allow web users, with software applications like browsers, to validate that the \
destination they are trying to reach is authentic and not a spoofed website.  We are \
seeking ISPs to participate in a panel discussion or provide presentations on their \
DNSSEC deployment plans, challenges, and benefits for users.

3. The Realities of Running DNSSEC
Now that DNSSEC has become an operational norm for many registries and registrars, \
what have we learned about how we manage DNSSEC? What's best practice around key \
rollovers? How often do you review your disaster recovery procedures? Is there \
operational familiarity within your customer support teams? Has DNSSEC made DNS more \
'brittle' or is it just a run-of-the-mill operational practice?

4.  DNSSEC and Enterprise Activities
DNSSEC has always been seen as a huge benefit to organizations looking to protect \
their identity and security on the Web. Large enterprises are an obvious target for \
DNS hackers and DNSSEC provides an ideal solution to this challenge. This session \
aims to look at the benefits and challenges of deploying DNSSEC for major \
enterprises. Topics for discussion:

 *   What is the current status of DNSSEC deployment among enterprises?
 *   What plans do the major enterprises have for their DNSSEC roadmaps?
 *   What are the challenges to deployment for these organizations?  Do they foresee \
raising awareness of DNSSEC with their customers?

5. When Unexpected DNSSEC Events Occur
What have we learned from some of the operational outages that we have seen over the \
past 18 months? Are there lessons that we can pass on to those just about to \
implement DNSSEC? How do you manage dissemination of information about the outage? \
What have you learned about communications planning? Do you have a route to ISPs and \
registrars? How do you liaise with your CERT community?

6. DNSSEC in the Wild
What operational statistics have we gathered about DNSSEC? Is it changing DNS \
patterns? How are our nameservers handling DNSSEC traffic? Is the volume as expected? \
Have we seen anything unusual?  Are there experiences being documented in the form of \
best practices, or something similar, for transfer of signed zones?

7. DANE and other DNSSEC applications
Using DNSSEC as a means of authentication for http transactions is an exciting \
development of DNSSEC. What is the progress of the DNS-Based Authentication of Named \
Entities (DANE) initiative? (See http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/dane/.) How soon \
could DANE become a deployable reality and what will be the impact of such a \
deployment, e.g. impact on traditional certification authorities (CAs)?

8.  The Great DNSSEC Panel Quiz
Ever fancied pitting your wits against your colleagues?  Demonstrate your knowledge \
and expertise in DNSSEC in our Great DNSSEC Panel Quiz.

In addition, we welcome suggestions for additional topics.

If you are interested in participating, please send a brief (1-2 sentence) \
description of your proposed presentation to dnssec-toronto at \
shinkuro.com<mailto:dnssec-toronto at shinkuro.com> by **Monday, 23 July 2012.**

We hope that you can join us.

Thank you,

Julie Hedlund

On behalf of the DNSSEC Workshop Program Committee:
Steve Crocker, Shinkuro
Jacques Latour, .CA
Simon McCalla, Nominet UK
Russ Mundy, Sparta/Parsons
Ond?ej Sur?, CZ.NIC
Lance Wolak, .ORG, The Public Interest Registry