List:       dng
Subject:    Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
From:       Martin Steigerwald <martin () lichtvoll ! de>
Date:       2024-05-16 21:59:37

Steve Litt - 16.05.24, 03:39:35 CEST:
> This puts sysvinit in a better light. Combine this with the short init
> script Martin showed us, and my only remaining objection to sysvinit is
> that the daemons need to background themselves.

And you have no service supervision.

But Runit existed back then.

No matter how you turn it around, Systemd has not been, is not and will
not be the only way to handle services, boot a system and do some system
related setup stuff.

It has often enough been argued that Systemd would be the only way forward
in case you like to have a modern system. But it has never been the only
way and it is not even the best way.

--
Martin