List:       dng
Subject:    Re: [DNG] What do you guys like about Desktop Environments?
From:       Didier Kryn <kryn () in2p3 ! fr>
Date:       2024-01-01 17:47:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

Le 01/01/2024 à 13:27, Gianluca Zoni via Dng a écrit :
> - the desktop is for the illiterate: if you are not illiterate,
>    then it is a limitation on your expression and action.  Many
>    people, used to the desktop, do not imagine what they can do
>    with a computer.  Basic principles of command-line programming
>    are the basis of any elementary education.  A 6-year-old
>    learning to read and write can give articulate language orders
>    to a computer.

     Well walking is for the dummies while riding a motorcycle is for
people who know how. Nevertheless, walking by foot, in a "stupid"
"gestural" fashion, like an "illiterate", is sometimes more convenient
than using a motorcycle. It depends where you go.

     I sometimes use the interactive shell to navigate the filesystem
(eg when developping apps), and sometimes use the graphical filemanager,
eg to watch a movie whith a name containing spaces.

> The power of the written word - according to logic - would
>    become central.  It is a pedagogical problem, but above all a
>    civil and political one: it concerns habits and the attitude to
>    freedom
>    --> as McLuhan said: «the medium is the mEssage»

     What you say here is more ineresting and reminds me a reflection I
got when thinking of my computer practice over many years: when I'm
logged on, and specially when I'm working in terminal emulator, I've
eventually realized that I'm in a kind of metaverse. My mind is
concentrated; the outside world (the physical world) doesn't exist
anymore and, sometimes I fill better. Much like when watching th movie
Avatar, although it is not as impressive.

--     Didier