List:       dng
Subject:    Re: [DNG] Bootable thumb must own the usb stick: was Chimaera install problem
From:       Curtis Maurand via Dng <dng () lists ! dyne ! org>
Date:       2023-01-06 12:33:50

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 5, 2023, at 6:49 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> Curtis Maurand via Dng said on Thu, 5 Jan 2023 16:53:59 -0500
>

> > I'm not sure how you created the usb stick, but the image doesn't like
> > being part of a multi boot setup. It has to own the stick. It can't be
> > in a subfolder, etc.
>
> Over the last decade I've had nothing but trouble making bootable thumb
> drives, so what you said interests me greatly. I don't understand
> exactly what you're saying in the preceding paragraph. Could you please
> elaborate?

When beowulf came out, I was trying to save myself a little money and tried to add \
the beowulf installer to a 16GB stick that had a couple of other distros  on it. \
there were rescue distros, disk cloning, etc.  I was using Yumi to add the beowulf \
installer to the collection. It puts the iso in a subfolder then adds it to the grub \
menu for the boot loader on the stick. It does that with all of the distros on the \
stick. Each one hoes in a subfolder. The Beowulf installer refused to run from that \
subfolder. After an hour or two of "WTF is going on," I ran dd to write the iso image \
directly to the stick and the installer ran fine.

I hope that helps,
Curtis