List:       dng
Subject:    Re: [DNG] Steam, Mumble, Valheim, Alsa and shared audio
From:       g4sra via Dng <dng () lists ! dyne ! org>
Date:       2021-08-28 18:24:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/mixed)]

On Saturday, August 28th, 2021 at 12:55 PM, hal <vmlinux@charter.net> wrot=
e:

dable posted to the list: https://pastebin.com/XrXtAfPX
> My setup (cat /proc/asound/cards):
> 0) PCH - external speakers/microphone plugged into back of computer
> 1.  Nvidia - I suppose HDMI audio route or something
> 2.  Logitech USB wireless headset with microphone
> -   I use "xhost +" to allow various users below to run gui on my login.=
 I do not have the X TCP socket listening so remote access to X is blocked=
. Could be another way to do this I dunno.
> -   my /dev/snd/* devices are chmod 660 for the "audio" group and all us=
ers are members  =

>     The problems I have is multiple applications need to access the audi=
o device concurrently but it does not work (until now):
> I have no sound in Firefox so sometimes I need to run Palemoon or Chrome=
 for any kind of multimedia content which needs sound (ffs Firefox.. an FO=
SS embarrassment). Sort of unrelated but it part of the root cause of all =
this

Install 'apulse' which are a sort of pulseaudio compatability libraries.

> =

> 2)
> When I run a web browser, I use a launcher script with sudo to run the b=
rowser as "firefox" user. This user cannot play audio if another applicati=
on has alsa "locked"
> =

> 3)
> Sometime I want to play MP3s on my disk. I run VLC with my login account=
. I cannot hear any music if the firefox user has a web browser open.
> =

> 4)
> When I launch Steam, a launcher script runs sudo to run Steam as "steamu=
ser". If another application has audio device open, there is no sound in S=
team games.

This may (and I do mean 'may') be your Desktop not releasing the audio dev=
ices, google that for your specific desktop to find out how to make it rel=
ease them when you launch steam.

> End result: this mostly works now! Thank you guys/gals! I can share the =
Logitech headset between Mumble and Steam (Valheim) applications when both=
 are run as the "steamuser". Sharing the same device between DIFFERENT use=
rs does NOT work though and maybe not possible I don't know (eg: using Mum=
ble on headset then trying to play Youtube video as "firefox" user).

["publickey - g4sra@protonmail.com - 0x42E94623.asc" (application/pgp-keys)]