List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    [DMCA_Discuss] Re: [C-FIT_Community] "BIT" Prepared: Boy Scouting and
From:       Richard Stallman <rms () gnu ! org>
Date:       2004-04-16 18:08:38

    Hey, that's great, but let us not forget that the Boy Scouts is a
    homophobic organization.

Is this true internationally, or only in the US?

Either way, this initiative is still a good thing.  I disapprove of
the Boy Scouts of America for their insistance on religion as well as
for prejudice against gays; despite that, if they endorse free
software, that is still better than if they don't.

    You can teach boy scouts about open source,
    unless you are gay.

I don't think Marco Fioretti is interested in teaching anyone about
"open source".  His article focuses on the ethical issue that is the
basis of the free software movement, which is precisely what the open
source movement was started to ignore and hide.  He surely chose to
write "free software" in his article in recognition of this
difference.

What he says about free software does not apply to the open source
movement anyway.  The open source movement was designed to appeal to
corporation executives by presenting the issue in terms of their
values.