List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    Re: [DMCA_Discuss] USPTO Grants Patent to WWW Naming Scheme (DNS)
From:       Anatoly Volynets <av () total-knowledge ! com>
Date:       2004-02-27 22:51:24

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Jim Bauer wrote:

> The patent system is a land mine to the small inventor or software developer.
> How can a guy working on his idea in his basement possibly afford to hire a
> patent lawyer to research ever little piece of code he creates?  Unless he is
> swimming in money, he can't.  If software patents become commonplace, it
> would not surprise me for any non-trivial program to trip over hundreds if
> not thousands of patents.  The cost of licensing (if even possible) or
> litigation will likely be out of reach for the little guy.
>
> Software patents won't hurt big businesses, they'll love it.  But what of
> everyone else?

It can amaze how people cannot see these so evident and already
practically working phenomena. But what amazes me is that evidently
software patents just present logical exaggerations of hardware ones.
Software patents thus simply display *real* effects of regular ones, which
otherwise can be seen only through the microscope of logic.

Anatoly Volynets
http://www.total-knowledge.com
http://www.culturedialogue.org