List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    Re: [DMCA_Discuss]  Macrovision Files Patent Infringement Lawsuit
From:       "Matthew T. Russotto" <mrussotto () speakeasy ! net>
Date:       2004-01-09 3:10:52

On Thursday, January 8, 2004, at 06:01  AM, Vladimir Katalov wrote:

> “321 infringes Macrovision’s intellectual property by offering
> products that enable users to make unauthorized copies that contain
> our patented process and sometimes illegally bypass our copy
> protection system,”

ROTFL.  Macrovision is really going out on a limb here.  The
Macrovision protection system is not contained in the DVD itself, but
the DVD player.  The DVD itself simply contains a bit which tells the
DVD player to activate the protection.  There's a multi-party cross
licensing agreement by which the studios pay for every DVD they set
that bit on, but 321 certainly isn't a party to it.  For Macrovision to
claim that setting the bit itself is an infringement of its patented
process is absurd.