List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    Re: [DMCA_Discuss] Diebold memos now on http://house.gov
From:       JC --repeal DMCA-- <jwc0 () starpower ! net>
Date:       2003-11-21 18:42:16

Then it's 2600 all over again. The judge in that case held that posting a URL
to a site that "facilitated theft" (or similar, I forget the actual words) was
just as bad as hosting the material yourself.

The court did leave open the question of a site featuring more than a simple
link. It hinted that a site with more content than a URL to the offending web
site (DeCSS in this case) might escape legal sanction. If the Kucinich site is
not seen in this light, then he is very well susceptible to a DMCA letter.

Would Diebold then not be required to act against him? If it does not, is then
not ceding some control over the content?

Cheers,
~>jc ** jeffrey w comer