List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    Re: [DMCA_Discuss] Its The Music, Stupid
From:       tom poe <tompoe () amihost ! com>
Date:       2003-09-16 20:05:24

Wish there was an accountant type around.  I'd really be interested in
how p2p file sharing could be used to quantify a "marketing budget"
expense from taxes.  Write off all the downloads against what's owed in
taxes, and enjoy the benefits from the exposure at the same time.  No
capitalization, no up-front costs other than what?  To me, it would be
the ideal way to market one's music.  Of course, won't really work
really good until they permit fan clubs to reemerge.  Then, watch out!

Ooops.  Just leaked the strategy that is about to explode across the
independent artist realm.  We're tossing around the idea of a Playlist
contest, one where contestants submit favorite non-RIAA playlists of an
hour or two worth of songs and win a prize.  The playlists would be a
great resource for webcasters (remember them?), local access tv and
radio shows, and web sites like dmusic.com for attracting artists to
sell their works.  What do you folks think?  Good idea or not?
Thanks,
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, NV