List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    [DMCA_Discuss] NTK on Music Sharing Debate + Software Patents
From:       Seth Johnson <seth.johnson () realmeasures ! dyndns ! org>
Date:       2002-10-25 21:25:26

> http://www.ntk.net/

>> HARD NEWS <<
debating ingenues

Sure, after both BRUCE DICKINSON and CHUCK D dropped out,
we  were mainly going to last night's Oxford Union "free
music"  debate to give RIAA chair (and erstwhile
Napster-slayer)  HILARY ROSEN a hard time. But, as it turned
out, there was no  need - Rosen was quite happy to make
extraordinary claims that  no copy-protected CDs have been
released in the USA  (fatchucks.com, we imagine, would beg
to differ), and that  musicians will continue making music
whatever happens, which  surely doesn't quite back up her
anti-file-sharing position.  Reassuringly, the motion that
"This House believes that the  free music mentality is a
threat to the future of music" was  resoundingly defeated by
a hefty 256 "Noes" to 72 "Ayes" - so:  if we can demolish
them this effectively on our home ground,  why can't we do
it in real life? Though we did give Hilary and  Jay Berman
(of the International Federation of Phonographic
Industries) a special round of applause when we later ran
into  them in the garden outside. "Tough crowd", we
sympathised, and  "You did very well considering your
indefensible position".

http://www.oxford-union.org/mod.php?mod=calendar&op=show_event&event_id=10
- some problems finding students to speak for the motion too

http://tirian.magd.ox.ac.uk/~nick/UnionDebate/
- vs http://www.mba-experience.com/

http://alumni.ox.compsoc.net/~agk/photos/CDR/full/C0889.jpg
- Hilary averts eyes from CD shirt, of which more later

Nice to see so many NTK subscribers at the Oxford Hilarython
- still no news of a coach party to the forthcoming software
patents "public meeting" (the one, you remember, in Brussels
on 2002-11-07, in the cupboard beneath the European
Parliament stairs, next to the sign saying "Beware of the
Leopard"). However, Andy Ellam wrote in to point out that
the person doing the drafting for the Parliament is slightly
closer to home. ARLENE MCCARTHY, MEP for the North West,
will be writing the software patent legislation - so if
you're a concerned constituent, you might want to give her a
little note explaining your worries. Or, if there's a crowd
of you, see if you can't organise a meeting. Fax and email
details are at http://www.arlenemccarthy.labour.co.uk/ .
Mail us at tips@spesh.com with "Come On Arlene" if you'd
like to be introduced to people with similar interests. "She
hasn't declared any relevant financial interests", says
Andy, peering over the PDF of her declarations, "but rather
worryingly, she does seem to be a Roxy Music Fan".

http://wwwdb.europarl.eu.int/ep-dif/2173_19-02-2002.pdf
- paging Mr "Friend of the Technologist" Eno!

http://swpat.ffii.org/index.en.html
- all you need to know about software patents, and slightly
more