List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    Re: [DMCA_Discuss] RE: [dvd-discuss] DMCA Twist
From:       Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith () kcco ! com>
Date:       2002-08-30 13:09:38

On Thursday 29 August 2002 10:51 am, Richard Hartman wrote:
> Seems to me the access control in question would
> be the one built in to the software that prevents
> it from using any DVD other than Apple's.  The
> "enabler" software bypassed this control.

And, since it uses one dvd-rw and not another, claiming it is a copy
prevention feature that is being bypassed is demonstrably false.  I suspect
Apple would lose this one, if they tried to bring it up under the DMCA.

They EULA probably wouldn't stand up either.

Now, given that they are a reseller of the product and have likely signed a
contract or agreement of some kind with apple might cause them some
difficulty ...

Jean