List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    [DMCA_Discuss] Judge Tosses BT Hyperlink Case
From:       "Tammo" <burrbob () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2002-08-24 8:42:58

Wooyah!  EAt that you patent-claming losers!!!

From Wired News

---------------

Judge Tosses BT Hyperlink Case
By Michelle Delio

8:55 a.m. Aug. 23, 2002 PDT
U.S. federal Judge Colleen McMahon has dismissed a claim by British Telecom that it \
developed and holds a patent to the hyperlink technology used to whisk Web users from \
one site to another.

According to court transcripts, the British telephone company believed that every \
single hyperlink used on every U.S. website was utilizing intellectual property the \
company patented in 1976 and should therefore be subject to a licensing fee.
On Thursday, the judge ruled that British Telecom's beliefs were without merit.

The case began in February, when British Telecom sued Prodigy, the oldest online \
access service, claiming that by being the first company to offer public access to \
the Web, Prodigy was in violation of a BT patent that was granted years before the \
Web even existed.

McMahon had expressed doubts over the case's validity as the suit progressed, but on \
Thursday she decisively dismissed BT's claims in a summary judgment (PDF) that is \
both technically astute and leaves no question about the judge's opinion on the worth \
of BT's case.

"The Internet is, in short, an entirely different beast from the system described in \
the (BT) patent. Consequently, the Internet does not infringe the Sargent patent," \
McMahon wrote in the judgment.

BT's patent, referred to in court as the "Sargent patent," describes a system that \
allows text sent from a central computer to a terminal to include non-visible data, \
such as the programming code used in hyperlinks.

McMahon's judgment hinged on the patent's use of a central computer.

BT lawyers argued that a central computer does not have to be a single computer.

To support this contention, BT lawyers quoted a statement made by McMahon in a \
previous case, in which McMahon had ruled that IBM could not "escape liability for \
infringement by constructing two or three or even more multi-unit memory systems and \
somehow linking them together or causing them to operate together."

But McMahon said the flaw in that argument "was obvious" because in the IBM case she \
was referring to a "computer system, not a central terminal."

"A system is not the same thing as a computer, and I never said that it was," McMahon \
wrote in Thursday's summary judgment. "Moreover, I was doing so in the context of a \
patent that is not even remotely like the Sargent patent."

A summary judgment can be handed down at the request of litigants in a suit. \
Typically the motion for a summary judgment is presented after one side has concluded \
its case, and the other side petitions the judge to rule that the case has no merit.

Legal experts said that requests for a summary judgment occur in the vast majority of \
cases, but are rarely granted in whole -- specific aspects of a charge may dismissed, \
but typically the entire suit is not thrown out with a summary judgment.

But McMahon's judgment put a definitive seal on the case, certainly as it concerns \
Prodigy and most probably as it affects BT's claims on any other Internet service \
provider.

"I find that, as a matter of law, no jury could find that Prodigy infringes the \
Sargent patent, whether directly or contributory, either as part of the Internet or \
on its Web server viewed separate and apart from the Internet. Prodigy's motion for \
summary judgment is therefore granted. The Clerk is directed to close the file," \
McMahon wrote.

BT representatives had previously acknowledged that the trial was a test case whose \
outcome would determine whether the company could commercialize a potentially \
lucrative patent.

If successful, BT had intended to file suit against other U.S. Internet service \
providers. The patent is only valid in the United States.

"We believe we have a duty to protect our intellectual property, and we would expect \
companies to pay a reasonable royalty based on the revenues that they have enjoyed \
through the use of that intellectual property," a BT spokeswoman said in February \
2002.

According to court papers, in June 2000 BT had contacted 17 ISPs, including America \
Online and Prodigy, and requested the companies purchase a license to use hyperlinks. \

After receiving unanimous refusals, BT proceeded with its test case against Prodigy.