List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    Re: [DMCA_Discuss] From One Who Knows Best . . . .
From:       De Bug <debug () centras ! lt>
Date:       2002-04-29 17:57:56

>>> I doubt many of above statements. Copyright is monopoly and any monopoly is
>>> evil. It was intended to reward Author, but I believe the chosen tool
>>> (copyright) was wrong. The very idea of copyright = 'right to make copies'
>>> is wrong, because essentially contradicts freedom of speech and practically
>>> intents to kill creativity.

>>  This is an exciting time for copyright law. In 1903, Mark Twain said
>>  "Only one thing is impossible for God: to find any sense in any copyright law on the planet."

>Heads up: Mark Twain was a fierce advocate for really long,
>welfare-to-authors'-families copyright. Be careful about quoting him.

Sometimes I do contradict me myself, so do others.
More important is what that paticular quotation says. :)

As to the copyrights we should ask ourselves -
May the two sides sign ANY imaginable contract ?
For example a contract of slavery ?

Copyrights restrict my natural freedoms and if i accept them (if i accept slavery)
should i be bind by the restriction (be treated like a slave)
What public could/should say about it ?

P.S.
Authors (BTW distributers too) deserve to be rewarded but it surely should
not be done at cost of other people freedoms (whether they agreed to surrend their freedoms or not)

--
De Bug
mailto: debug@centras.lt