List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    Re: [DMCA_Discuss] Copyright is essentially wrong (I'm surprised no one's mentioned this from today'
From:       tom poe <tompoe () renonevada ! net>
Date:       2002-04-29 13:58:59

On Sunday 28 April 2002 23:37, Anatoly Volynets wrote:
- - - snip - - -
> I doubt many of above statements. Copyright is monopoly and any monopoly is
> evil. It was intended to reward Author, but I believe the chosen tool
> (copyright) was wrong. The very idea of copyright = 'right to make copies'
> is wrong, because essentially contradicts freedom of speech and practically
> intents to kill creativity. As long as it is legal, all 'valentis' feel
> their moral right to fight for the property they bought. At that very
> moment, when you say "I accept copyright" you become their ally, whatever
> you say further.
>
> The very term "copyright" is wrong and uncovers true intention of its
> inventors: to grant monopolies to publishers, to help them to channel
> monies from 'consumers' ('audience', 'readers', 'listeners' and other
> 'thinkers' do not give away money easily, and thus must be reduced to
> 'consumers' by all means) to monopoly holders.
>
> Anatoly

Hi, Anatoly:  There are few throughout history that would disagree with you.
Copyright is a monopoly, and is an admitted "trade-off", compromise, intended
as you have previously mentioned.  There are a growing number who see
Hollywood's/Disney's actions as nothing more than a revisiting to those glory
days of the East India Company.
Thanks,
Tom
http://www.studioforrecording.org/