List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    [DMCA_Discuss] Copyright Infringment Fears Are A RED HERRING
From:       "Jon O." <jono () networkcommand ! com>
Date:       2002-03-29 23:11:15

----- Forwarded message from hypnoguy34 <hypnoguy34@yahoo.com> -----

The REAL fear these companies have is NOT infringement.

It's that artists will wake up and realize that they do not need the
record companies, since they can record themselves and distribute
globally.

I sold an e-book tonight and made myself $30.00.  If I had submitted
that book to a publisher, I would have had to sell THIRTY copies to
make the SAME amount of money, and only then after my royalties had
recovered all of the marketing costs.

With global digital distribution, who needs record companies and
publishers when we can do those functions ourselves?  Now I will say
that my experience as an electronic publisher is such that I may one
day wind up an ideal option for those who don't want to be bothered
with learning my marketing secrets, but the fact is, they don't fear
pirates as much as they fear an artists' revolt.

----- End forwarded message -----