List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    Re: [DMCA_Discuss] Is there a page with boycott suggestions.
From:       tom poe <tompoe () renonevada ! net>
Date:       2002-03-28 18:22:32

On Thursday 28 March 2002 08:35, raymond wrote:
> [...]
> should perhaps just focus on the list of who to boycott and how with brief
> one line explinations on the why accompanied by a couple of links to
> relevent info. Of course, also an into blurb asking that the each reader
> make a decision on what boycott actions they are willing to take,
> reinforcing the idea that a partial boycott will make a big difference.  I
> would like to avoid people being taken aback by the idea of boycotting all
> of these products and giving up instead of making whatever stand there
> comfortable making.  After we get a good start in place, we can encourage
> other sites to link to us with "what can I do" links.
>
> Adobe for bringing the DMCA case against Dmitry Sklyarov.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/18/technology/18CRYP.html
> http://boycottadobe.com/CallForBoycott.html
>
> Alternatives
> Adobe Illustrator -
>             Gimp for Linux
>              ????  - Windows  (some help here.)
>              ???? - Mac  (some help here.)
> Adobe Writer/Distiller -
>     ps2pdf for Linux --Part of the AFPL Ghostscript package.
>             Just print to a post script file and run
>             ps2pdf13  input.ps output.pdf
>     Free web version of ps2pdf --makes free pdfs.
>             http://www.ps2pdf.com/convert/convert.htm
>
> --There are some recommended guidlines for linking to ps2pdf.com which are
> linked off the main page.  Also, I don't want to recommend people stop
> using PDF because it's better than people trading word docs.  I don't want
> to replace the diet coke of evil w/ doctor evil if you know what I mean.
> Besides, at least there are free readers available for all OSes, and if you
> make PDFs in this way, Adobe isn't making any money from you.
>
> One big pain is going to be tracking down tentacles of affiliated
> corporations.  For instance, RIAA backers.  In these cases perhaps a
> different format would be appropriate.  Like a list of alternatives, and
> then a list of companies, lables, product lines affiliated.
>
> I have some web space without a DNS entry at this point, so I can put the
> work in progress on the web as it grows bigger and becomes more complete.
> That may or may not be it's final home, but it's a place for us to see what
> we are working on.  I was thinking it is probably simplest to draft in text
> and format to HTML when we get further along.
>
> -ray.

> > Ray (and others),
> >
> > In the next week or so I will be finding some space to put together a
> > page detailing exactly what you asked about (or the beginnings thereof).
> > If you have any specific requests/ boycotted companies, please let me
> > know.
> >
> > I'll let the list know when it's up. Submissions welcome for
> > companies-to-boycott to the group or by private email. I'll begin with
> > Disney and holdings, Microsoft (just cuz) and the members of the RIAA &
> > MPAA.
> >

> > Of course, if anyone has any similar resource already in place please

Hi:  This is good stuff, badly needed.  Let me know if I can help.  Simon can
update us on what he is thinking about, and then we can decide where to put
it.  If we treat this as a "loose" interpretation of a growing anthology, we
can create a Collection on IBIBLIO.ORG.  They'll possibly provide space, etc.
 Our festival is awaiting in the future, when we can celebrate "reason has
returned to society".  <grin>
>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

  Anthology \An*thol"o*gy\, n. [Gr. ?, fr. 'anqolo`gos flower
     gathering; 'a`nqos flower + le`gein to gather.]

     4. (Gr. Ch.) A service book containing a selection of pieces
        for the festival services.

Thanks, Tom