List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    Re: [DMCA_discuss] The Future of Music
From:       tom poe <tompoe () renonevada ! net>
Date:       2002-02-26 9:17:59

On Monday 25 February 2002 23:23, Jon O. wrote:
> http://a.wholelottanothing.org/more.blah/moreID/13.html
>
> The future of music
> February 23, 2002
> The problem with music and mp3s today
> I was introduced to the format in spring of 1997, when my then domain host
> sent a mass mail to all users saying that .mp3 files were banned and sites
> serving files would be shut down without notice. I hadn't even heard of
> them, and had to dig search engines for half an hour to find anything I
> could understand. I eventually got that it was a compression specification,
> but the real impact didn't come until six months later when a friend said I
> could have a copy of a new CD from his mp3 files.
>
> Five years have passed since then, and in that time Apple has fully
> embraced the format, putting playback, ripping, and recording features deep
> into their digital hub as lifestyle philosophy. Along with iPods, Rios and
> Nomads adorn the hips of many geeks. PDAs and even cell phones tout mp3
> playback as features. Everyone with a computer I know uses them, rips them
> from their CDs, and shares them with others. Napster (and later on, Kazaa)
> built massive worldwide networks based on the sharing of these files
> spreading terabytes of files to millions of users. And yet, you can't walk
> into a store anywhere in America and buy a physical form of media embedded
> with mp3s.
>
> http://a.wholelottanothing.org/more.blah/moreID/13.html

Hi:  There's some that agree with Matthew, and are chewing on such ideas:
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

The idea is to create community-based FREE studio recording services, in turn
for having the work donated to the Public Domain.  The Internet distribution
aspect will enable and enhance a significant following/audience for their
work, leading to bigger and better opportunities.  Each community studio
utilizes a local control over the programs and events "that work".  Funding
will be provided through grants/donations, and it's good-bye RIAA.  Most
importantly, there will be a serious impact on music education for kids,
opportunity, and enjoyment that has been taken away through legislation and
budget decreases.
Thanks, Tom