List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    Re: [DMCA_discuss] Re: FC: A defense of Borland's license saying auditors may inspect your PC
From:       tom poe <tompoe () renonevada ! net>
Date:       2002-01-18 23:49:00

On Friday 18 January 2002 15:32, Matthew T. Russotto wrote:
- - -snip - - -
> Lessig said a lot of things on slashdot, but IMO what a lot of it comes
> down to is my point earlier about Lessig being a lawyer and comfortable
> with the government.  He spends a lot of time railing against slashdot
> readers for being what they are -- technical people, geeks if you will.
> Not lawyers, not lobbyists, not public relations people.   Lessig
> doesn't seem to understand that -- he doesn't understand why slashdot
> readers are "political slugs", why they don't go out there and do
> whatever it is that is needed in the political arena.   Unfortunately,
> it's more important to be able to get a Congressman to roll over and beg
> than to get a Unix system to do so -- and most slashdot readers have the
> skills for the latter but not the former.

Hi, Matthew:  You raise an excellent point.  What's so obvious to us in the
peanut gallery, is that this DMCA is a blatant commercial enterprise, with
absolutely no substance to it whatsoever.  Question.  What seems to be the
problem for men of stature, lawyers, professionals, Congressmen, those in the
highest positions of government, politics, and the legal profession?  Why
can't they see the harm, damage, terrible consequences of the Entertainment
industry's blind ambition, that this causes?  Loss of individual Freedom
knows no economic class, does it?  Shouldn't all those who have permitted
this fiasco to be "legitimized" through legislative discussion, whether they
be the Congress, or the Legal Profession, be ashamed of themselves.
Especially since their "words" are immortalized in print.
Just a thought,
Tom