List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    Re: [DMCA_discuss] [ruben@mrbrklyn.com: [free-sklyarov]
From:       "John Zulauf" <johnzu () ia ! nsc ! com>
Date:       2001-12-19 16:22:02

I was on panel on DRM's (as the dissenting trouble maker) with a Sr. VP
(legal/IP counsel) of a major movie company. He too thought the music
companies were out-to-lunch here.  We had a meaningful conversation that
boiled down to two major points

(a) since everything that can be seen can be copied -- the only
effective copy protection (in terms of "casual copying") is the good
will of the customers (.002's "get your own d*mn paper effect")

(b) copy protection simply creates a demand for ripped content.  Johnny
get's home from the store with a bright new shiny CD he spent his
allowance/paper route/babysitting money on.  Johnny goes to play it on
his PC... no good.  What is the next series of steps Johnny takes?  (A)
Look on the net for a ripped copy for his PC, (B) failing finding one,
he hooks up his CD-Discman to the "line-in" port and does a analog rip
of the 1 or 2 songs he bought the CD for (C) he either posts these rips
to some peer to peer, burns copies for his friends and then (D) RETURNS
the CD ('cause he's "f'ing pissed off")

There we have it.  A paying customer, his goodwill with the company
broken turned (almost instantly) into a producer and consumer on hacked
goods.

Valenti et. al. still want to think that they can control it all.  That
somehow (with DRM's and TPM's) that which can be perceived can prevented
from being recorded.  The fail to realize that the best weapon they EVER
had was the public's perception of the publisher as acting in the artist
interest and their goodwill.  Even with the SSSCA, there will be no way
to stop piracy.

Will D/A, osciliscope scientific and test equipment have watermark
detection on them?  The first one that hangs because the data looks like
a TPM will get returned to Fluke, Tek, or whatever vendor it came from.
How would one test the S/N ratio on real content... is that distortion
in the amp or is that the $%^&* TPM?  How about professional equipment
cameras, audio, etc. A news crew walking through the mall catches a
small piece of Muzak on tape and the watermark freezes the audio inputs
-- heaven help the station manager who bought that camera.  Worse yet --
little Suzy does a dance recital to a burned (copy once rules) audio
track (so that the teacher doesn't have to manually cue each song for
the recital (I did this last weekend -- burning two songs for my kids
piano teacher-- highly valuable to her -- and she OWNS the CD it came
from).  Now the Camcorder audio inputs detect the (copy never rule)
watermark in the 1st generation copy and freeze the audio inputs of the
camcorder -- thus g'ma and g'pa get a silent tape.  Worse, let's say the
audio started with copy twice, records correctly onto the camcorder (and
is now copy zero) -- how do I make copies of the tapes for both sets of
grandparents and the uncles, aunts, cousins???

This whole thing is so stupid and the backlash will be great.

"Bablyon has fallen!"